Green on the Inside

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. And rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of His hand. - Irish Blessing

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Love - the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


Weekends for me aren't usually that exciting. This weekend was a little different. I learned a little more about love.

Until recently, my grandfather was the picture of health. Now he's dying, and my family and I now have to watch the deterioration not only of his body and mind but also of his spirit. He recently moved in with my parents, because he could no longer live alone. Yesterday morning, he had so much trouble getting down the stairs that he wasn't going to make it back up, so we had to convert my mother's dining room into his bedroom, and it will remain so for the rest of his life, however short that may be. It's hard to say, as much as we love him, but it's because we love him that we do say it - I really hope he doesn't last much longer. I'll miss him, but I simply can't bear to seem him this way. I guess love sometimes means slow, painful goodbyes.

My nephew started crying the cries of distress shortly after I'd put him to bed last night. I picked him up out of his crib in the dark, only to be immediately covered in his dinner. It was in my hair, soaking my shirt, and down my shirt. What amazed me is that I didn't even consider getting myself cleaned up first - taking care of my nephew was my priority, no matter how foul I smelled and how nasty the wet shirt felt against my skin. Love apparently also means spending 20 minutes covered in nastiness simply because you do what you have to do for those you love.

Sometimes love sucks. But it's worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home